American advertising truly has to be seen to be believed.
The really worrying ones are the medical treatments. The voice-overs detailing the possible side affects (which for some treatments include permanent muscle spasms, suicide or heart attack, as well as a whole host of more “minor” effects) tend to last longer than the whole advert.
But there are many other slightly bizarre things too…
- Cars which can get a whole 30 (yes, 30!) mpg are things of wonder
- Insurance is needed for everything (cars, you, pets, houses, motorbikes, lorries, small children… the list goes on)
- You can actually name a rival product and then spend the whole advert explaining why it is bad rather than why yours is good
- Many adverts which we see in the UK which are badly dubbed are indeed American, and to be honest are better dubbed than having to watch the original version
- Junk food is everywhere, is exceptionally cheap and exceptionally plastic looking